Why build a site? #
There are many reasons why your club might want to build it’s web presence. Here a some potential benefits:
- Highlight the club’s accomplishments and projects to increase engagement with the club
- Recruit new members by showcasing the benefits of joining the club and providing information about how to get involved.
- Public historical archive of the history of the club
Platform Options #
Sites@UMW (Recommended) #
A streamlined platform designed to get users building on the web quickly and easily. Build WordPress sites using a few built-in customization options.
We highly recommend clubs use Sites@UMW because:
- Easy to maintain and support (security and updates handled by system admins)
- Easy to transition site to other club members
Domain of One’s Own #
A powerful platform suitable for complex projects. Build fully-customizable sites using WordPress and many other applications.
Here are the cases where Domain of One’s Own (DoOO) might be a good fit:
- The site need to perform complex functions that Sites@UMW doesn’t support
- The site will be built with an application other than WordPress
- You need to be able to add users to your site who are not part of the UMW community
Before signing up to use DoOO we recommend you reach out to the Digital Knowledge Center (DKC) to ensure that it is the right fit for your needs.
What to use when? #
Presence (myUMW) #
Before creating a site on Sites@UMW or Domain of One’s Own we want to mention that it often make sense to use Presence in combination with a site. Here are some things you might want to have presence handle:
- An overview of the club (helpful for students searching in
- Internal club documents
- Event registration and tracking
- Membership tracking
So, when might your club want a website?:
- When you need to share club information and activities with external audiences
- You need more control over the look and feel of your site
- When you need to have multiple pages or share varied kinds of media
Example Sites #
- Student Government Association
- International Relations Organization
- Performing Arts Club (PAC)
- WMWC Radio Club
Things to consider #
- Building a website is like owning a puppy. Someone needs to be lead.
- But you can get help from a consultant at the Digital Knowledge Center!
- If you use Sites@UMW or DoOO we can help if you lose access
Getting Started #
We highly encourage you to book an appointment with a DKC consultant to discuss and answer any questions you might have before picking a platform.
If you are ready to get started head to the landing page for our web building platforms for more information and to sign-up!