What can I take with me? #
As a Domain of One’s Own user leaving UMW, you should know you can take some things with you when you leave. As part of your Domain of One’s Own account you have:
- A domain
- This would be your main URL, example.com.
- Any subdomains you’ve made, another.example.com, which are branches off of your main domain.
- Web content. This could be:
- A WordPress site you’ve built
- An Omeka site you’ve built
- Databases you’ve created
- Files you’ve uploaded directly to your File Manager
When you leave you can transfer your domain and/or migrate your web content that you have created on the Domain of One’s Own web hosting to a new web host or make a backup of your content. If you plan on keeping your domain and content up on the web by transferring it to a new web host this will cost money. Typically, the domain cost is a yearly fee while the cost of web hosting is a monthly or yearly fee.
If you’d like more explanation about the difference between your domain, website, and web hosting please see our “Getting to know your web space” guide.
What is the timeline? #
You have 30 days after your graduation date to determine what you would like to do.
What are my next steps? #
There are many different options available to you if you plan on transferring your domain and/or migrating some of your content. While we can’t cover all the different scenarios here are some things you should consider. If you have any questions we encourage you to book a Website Project appointment with the Digital Knowledge Center.
- Decide what you want to take with you.
- Whether it is just your domain or everything, make sure you know what you want to take. As explained above there are two separate costs, so different companies may charge you differently to transfer and move your content.
- If you plan on taking your content with you make sure you know how much storage you are currently using. Most companies charge more for more storage needs. Make sure you delete anything you don’t plan on taking with you before you migrate your content.
- Find a company and set up an account.
- Before signing up with a company make sure they can do all the things you need. Many companies have guides as well as support. Read up and reach out to make sure they are a good fit.
- On the Migration Information page (you need to be logged in to your DoOO account to see this page) you’ll find that the company that hosts Domain of One’s Own, Reclaim Hosting, has made a special offer available to students that includes transferring your content to them for free.
- Read the Leaving Domain of One’s Own: The Practical Steps guide.
- We have created a guide on the practical steps of migrating for when you are ready to take that step.
Updated by Shannon Hauser 8/23/23